pink roses

Monday, October 22, 2012

Surrender Challenge [Day5]

" I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." Romans 12:1 

Stop.

Yes, I said stop.

Why are you seeking the Lord?
Not why he is, or she is; you. Think about it. Search yourself. Give yourself a concise answer.
Why do you want to be like Him?
Why do you want to serve Him?
Where is this desire coming from?

Romans 12:1, " I beseech you therefore, [Paul pleads with us, 'therefore,' because of the great salvation and promises of Romans chapters 1-11, because of everything up to this point; Here is what all reason is yelling for you to do:  "brethren, by the mercies of God, [that ye] present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

I'm glad to be saved.

Especially by grace through faith.

I am so happy to be free from condemnation.

I sing the mighty holiness, mighty justice, mighty love of God, that sent His Son to die in my place for my crime.

Oh joy, joy, joyous of joys! "God has made me alive to Himself! I can respond to Him, hear His still small voice, and be taught the Scriptures by the Holy Spirit!"

If I were a person given to jumping up and down, the statement, 'You are now dead to sin. You don't have to live in it any longer!' would make me take wings to my feet. As it is, it brings chills, and tears.

I don't understand exactly why or how.

But I'm grateful.

Grateful enough to pursue the holiness that God commands of every believer?

"15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”[a] 1 Peter 1:15-16

"Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." 2 Timothy 2:22

"I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness." Romans 6:19

"But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life." Romans 6:22

"Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God." 2 Corinthians 7:1

" and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness." Ephesians 4:24

"For God did not call us to uncleanness, but to holiness." 1 Thessalonians 4:7


This is our High calling of God, in Christ Jesus. This is the mark that we press for. 


It was out on the Scottish Highlands, high in the crags. Persecution from the Roman Catholic church and the infiltrating English was rampant. There, clambering alone through the rocky terrain was a father and son. Sweat mixing with the mist, the pair came to a halt with rock formations enclosing them on three sides. After telling his son to wait for him, the father climbed the rocks, using his height and the sheer strength of his arms. The son watched in awe, and bewilderment. He could not possibly go up the same way. At the top, the father pointed out a foothold high above the boy's head. "I want you to place your foot.. there." And the father stretched his hand down toward the boy. With a leap, the trusting son managed to grab hold of his father's hand, but was still unable to reach the foothold, much less the top. With ease, the father lifted the son up the rocks, his strength pulling the boy far above what the boy could have stretched to, or leaped for.

So it is with God. What He asks of us, is to 'press' toward it.

Challenge #5
Memorize one of the 'pursue holiness' verses to mediate on today.
Ask yourself
Am I 'pressing'?
Am I 'pressing,' all day long?
Am I truly giving Him 'excellence'?
Set two goals, one to accomplish today,
 and one for where you want to be at the end of this month.
Press toward it today with faith in the One who is pulling you there.
(ideas)

Find an accountability partner. 
Choose a role-model from Scripture or history. 
Sing, and give smiles, remember, "The joy of the Lord is my strength."
 And continue persistently, steadfastly in prayer.

My Attitude today is: 
Lord Jesus, here am I,thy little maid.
This is my best; my whole best,
and nothing but my best
-for You. 
For Your glory not mine.
Teach me to deflect praise from myself to it's rightful source.
Make me anxious to give Your glory to You!

Encouragement for the weary heart:

"A highway shall be there, and a road, and it shall be called the Highway of Holiness. The unclean shall not pass over it, but it shall be for others. Whoever walks the road, although a fool, shall not go astray."
Isaiah 35:8




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!
Becca Ellen and I would love to hear from you!!