pink roses

Monday, August 29, 2011

Today, we are having our first Guest Speaker!
Meet: Mrs. Lettie Burd Cowman.

Mrs. Cowman worked as a pioneer missionary with her husband in Japan and China from 1901 to 1917, during which time they helped found the Oriental Missionary Society. When Mr. Cowman's poor health forced the couple to return to the United States, Mrs. Cowman turned her attention to caring for her husband until his death six years later. Out of Mrs. Cowman's experiences and heartbreak came her first book, A devotional,"Streams in the Desert," followed by its companion "Springs in the Valley." During the next twenty-five years, Mrs. Cowman inspired several nationwide Scripture distribution campaigns and wrote seven more books. Finally, on Easter Sunday in 1960, at the age of ninety, Mrs.Cowman went to meet the God she had served so faithfully for nearly a century.

I have treasured Mrs. Cowman's writings for some time, now, I give them to you!

    "I went to America some years ago with the captain of a steamer, who was a very devoted Christian. When off the coast of Newfoundland he said to me, 'The last time that I was here.... something happened that revolutionized the whole of my christian life. We had George Muller on board. I had been on the Bridge twenty-four hours and had never left it. George Muller came to me and said, "Captain, I have come to tell you that I must be in Quebec Saturday afternoon."
"It is impossible," I said.
"Very well, if your ship cannot take me, God will find some other way. I have never broken an engagement for fifty-seven years. Let us go down to the chart-room and pray."
      I looked at that man of God and thought to myself, What lunatic asylum can that man have come from? I never heard of such a thing as this.
"Mr. Mueller," I said, "do you know how dense this fog is?"
"No," he replied, "my eye is not on the density of the fog, but on the living God, who controls every circumstance of my life."
    He knelt down and prayed one of the most simple prayers, and when he finished, I was going to pray, but he put his hand on my shoulder, and told me not to pray.
"First, you do not believe He will answer; and second, I believe He has, and there is no need for you to pray about it."
     I looked at him; and he said, "Captain, I have known my Lord for fifty-seven years, and there has never been a single day that I have failed to get audience with the King. Get up, Captian, and open the door, and you will find the fog gone."
     I got up, and the fog was indeed gone. On Saturday afternoon, George Muller was in Quebec for his engagement.' "


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!
Becca Ellen and I would love to hear from you!!