pink roses

Monday, May 9, 2011

Why Can't I?

   May 2007,  I flopped on the bed and hid my face in the quilt. Why? Why could I not have the amazing relationship with God that I had read of so many Christians having? Why did other people I knew have this relationship and I didn't? Why?

As I sat there thinking, a dear friend of mine walked into the room and gave me some advice.
          1.) The thought that you CAN'T have that relationship with Christ is a big fat lie from Satan.
          2.) God loves you and wants to spend time with you. That is what He made you for, to worship and glorify Him of your own free choice, and with all of your being. That is the kind of 'all out' relationship you're designed to have with God. God is ready.
          3.) The problem is, are you? Have you been diligent to look for God? To seek Him as if for buried treasure... every day?..... Every minute of every day? Are you fulfilling your end? Friends don't ignore each other and never talk to each other!
     I wiped my tears off and thought about it. I knew for a fact that I was not being diligent in that area. My friend gave me a little pamphlet. I have read and re-read it over and over. Finally, I began to understand.

(Part 1)

My heart, Christ's home, by Robert Boyd Munger
             In Paul's epistle to the Ephesians, we find these words:
"That (God) would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith" (Ephesians 3:16). Or, as another has translated, "That Christ may settle down and be at home in your hearts by faith." Without question one of the most remarkable Christian doctrines is that Jesus Christ Himself through the presence of the Holy Spirit will actually enter a heart, settle down and be at home there. Christ will make the human heart His abode.
       Our Lord said to His disciples, "If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him" (John 14:23). It was difficult for them to understand what He was saying. How was it possible for Him to make his abode with them in this sense?
       It is interesting that our Lord used the same word here that He gave them in the first of the fourteenth chapter of John: "I go to prepare a place for you .. that where I am, ye may be also." Our Lord was promising his disciples that, just as He was going to heaven to prepare a place for them and would welcome them one day, now it would be possible for them to prepare a place for Him in their hearts and He would come and make His abode with them. They could not understand this. How could it be? Then came Pentecost. The Spirit of the living Christ was given to the church and they understood. God did not dwell in Herod's temple in Jerusalem! God did not dwell in a temple made with hands; but now, through the miracle of the out-poured Spirit, God would dwell in human hearts. The body of the believer would be the temple of the living God and the human heart would be the home of Jesus Christ. It is difficult for me to think of a higher privilege than to make Christ a home in my heart, to welcome, to serve, to please, to fellowship with him there. 
My heart, Christ's home
One evening I invited Jesus Christ into my heart. What an entrance He made! It was not a spectacular, emotional thing, but very real. It was at the very center of my life. He came into the darkness of my heart and turned on the light. He built a fire in the cold hearth and banished the chill. He started music where there had been stillness, and He filled the emptiness with His own loving, wonderful fellowship. I have never regretted opening the door to Christ and I never will - not into eternity! This, of course, is the first step in making the heart Christ's home. He has said, "Behold I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." (Revelation 3:20). If you are interested in making your life an abode of the living God, let me encourage you to invite Christ into your heart and He will surely come After Christ entered my heart and in the joy of this new relationship I said to Him, "Lord, I want this heart of mine to be Yours. I want to have You settle down here and be perfectly at home. Everything I have belongs to You. Let me show You around and introduce you to the various features of the home that you may be more comfortable and that we may have fuller fellowship together." He was very glad to come, of course, and happier still to be given a place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!
Becca Ellen and I would love to hear from you!!