pink roses

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Do You Pray?

     "I have a question to offer you. It is contained in three words.
 Do you pray?"
This morning as I was having my quiet time, I was struck with this question. It was from a pamphlet that Daddy had read aloud to us by J C Ryle, but that I had not thought about for a long time. 
"To be prayerless is to be without God, without Christ, without grace, without hope, and without heaven. It is to be on the road to hell. Now can you wonder that I ask the question, Do you pray?"
Do I pray? Yes, but what am I praying about? 
"a man may pray without heart and without sincerity. I do not for a moment pretend to say that the mere fact of a person's praying proves is everything about his soul. As in every other part of religion, so also in this, there may be deception and hypocrisy."
 What do I pray about on a regular basis? Do I pray about the right things?
" I commend to you the importance of reverence and humility in your prayers. Pray without form or ritual. Pray with perseverance and earnestness. Pray with faith, believing that God has heard your cry and will requite it. Come boldly before the throne of grace. Confess much. Ask for much. Thank for much. be particular. bear in your prayers the world, the body of believers around the world, the heathen, your country, your congregation to which you belong, your household, your relations, your friends."
 What about you? I know that I had to ask forgiveness this morning and start over. Do you pray?


 The complete pamphlet by J C Ryle 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!
Becca Ellen and I would love to hear from you!!