pink roses

Friday, January 27, 2012

Will You Speak Up?

"They came first for the Communists..
but I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews...
but I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the Unionists...
but I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Unionist.
Then they came for the Catholic...
but I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me...
and by that time...
there was no-one left to speak up for me."
Rev. Martin Niemoller, commenting on events in Germany 1933-1939

This quote, from a book I randomly picked up, stuck out to me so much that I had to read it through several times. The first thing that popped into my head was- what in the world is that supposed to mean?  
It fascinated me.  The second thought was- where is the rest of it? 

Without context it is hard to know what Rev. Martin Niemoller meant. To me though, the implications of last line are still powerful- "Then they came for me... and by that time...  there was no-one left to speak up for me." 
I can't count how many times I have thought things like- 
So and so is finally getting what they deserve.  
Why should I help so and so if they never help me?
I'm so glad Mommy is making so and so do their chores for once.  
Or, That's not my job so I don't need to take care of it. 
Similar to the quote above, the root of thoughts like these is selfishness. It is insane to think that your friends will forgive, and help you, when you hold grudges and refuse to help them. If you don't stand up for others, when you need someone, no one will be around.
(Proverbs 18:24) Instead of selfishly thinking of only ourselves, let's speak up for those around us today, and put others before ourselves! (Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!
Becca Ellen and I would love to hear from you!!