pink roses

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Resolutions....(Day1)

The wind blows cold through the window as Becca-Ellen and I sit together with wrapped shoulders and stocking feet.

It is time to pray. 
Pray about the coming year.
Pray about the year we have finished. 
Pray about the resolutions we made.
Pray about the resolutions we are making.

What does He want us to press towards in the coming year?
Did we do as He would have us in the last one?
Did we fulfill the resolutions we made?
How can we strive to do better?

As we pray through sheets of handwritten paper, we are inspired by others who have struggled through the same issues. One of our inspirations is Jonathan Edwards, the greatest Protestant thinker and theologian America has ever produced. Most people don't know that he was not only God's kindling for the Great Awakening, but also its most penetrating analyst and critic. 
 As a 19 year-old, Jonathan Edwards began writing his "Resolutions" in his journal and added slowly to them throughout the rest of his life. To keep them, Edwards re-read over them at least once a week for the rest of his life so they would stay fresh and alive in the forefront of his mind. 

I encourage you as you ready yourself to begin fresh in this coming year to read slowly over each of these resolutions. Let them test you as you are today. Let them challenge you to excel. Let them encourage you to go forward.

I challenge you
Think through them.

THE RESOLUTIONS OF JONATHAN EDWARDS
BEING SENSIBLE THAT I AM UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING WITHOUT GOD'S HELP, I DO HUMBLY ENTREAT HIM BY HIS GRACE TO ENABLE ME TO KEEP THESE RESOLUTIONS, SO FAR AS THEY ARE AGREEABLE TO HIS WILL, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God' s glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriads of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many soever, and how great soever.

2. Resolved, to be continually endeavoring to find out some new contrivance and invention to promote the aforementioned things.

3. Resolved, if ever I shall fall and grow dull, so as to neglect to keep any part of these Resolutions, to repent of all I can remember, when I come to myself again.

4. Resolved, never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God; nor be, nor suffer it, if I can avoid it.

5. Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.

6. Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.

7. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.

8. Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God.

9. Resolved, to think much on all occasions of my own dying, and of the common circumstances which attend death.

10. Resolved, when I feel pain, to think of the pains of martyrdom, and of hell.

11. Resolved, when I think of any theorem in divinity to be solved, immediately to do what I can towards solving it, if circumstances don't hinder.

12. Resolved, if I take delight in it as a gratification of pride, or vanity, or on any such account, immediately to throw it by.


13. Resolved, to be endeavoring to find out fit objects of charity and liberality.


14. Resolved, never to do anything out of revenge.


15. Resolved, never to suffer the least motions of anger to irrational beings.


16. Resolved, never to speak evil of anyone, so that it shall tend to his dishonor, more or less, upon no account except for some real good.


17. Resolved, that I will live so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.


18. Resolved, to live so at all times, as I think is best in my devout frames, and when I have clearest notions of things of the gospel, and another world.


19. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if I expected it would not be above an hour, before I should hear the last trump.


20. Resolved, to maintain the strictest temperance in eating and drinking.


21. Resolved, never to do any thing, which if I should see in another, I should count a just occasion to despise him for, or to think any way the more meanly of him. (Resolutions 1 through 21 were written in one sitting in New Haven in 1722)


22. Resolved, to endeavor to obtain for myself as much happiness, in the other world, as I possibly can, with all the power, might, vigor, and vehemence, yea violence, I am capable of, or can bring myself to exert, in any way that can be thought of.


23. Resolved, frequently to take some deliberate action, which seems most unlikely to be done, for the glory of God, and trace it back to the original intention, designs and ends of it; and if I find it not to be for God' s glory, to repute it as a breach of the 4th Resolution.


24. Resolved, whenever I do any conspicuously evil action, to trace it back, till I come to the original cause; and then, both carefully endeavor to do so no more, and to fight and pray with all my might against the original of it.


25. Resolved, to examine carefully, and constantly, what that one thing in me is, which causes me in the least to doubt of the love of God; and to direct all my forces against it.


26. Resolved, to cast away such things, as I find do abate my assurance.


27. Resolved, never willfully to omit any thing, except the omission be for the glory of God; and frequently to examine my omissions.


28. Resolved, to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.


29. Resolved, never to count that a prayer, nor to let that pass as a prayer, nor that as a petition of a prayer, which is so made, that I cannot hope that God will answer it; nor that as a confession, which I cannot hope God will accept.


30. Resolved, to strive to my utmost every week to be brought higher in religion, and to a higher exercise of grace, than I was the week before. 

(To be continued)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!
Becca Ellen and I would love to hear from you!!