pink roses

Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Wealthy Woman



Challenge:
 Read through each line of this little paragraph and 
write down your own answers to the questions
before reading on! 
The Wealthy Woman

IMG_2454.JPG.jpg



     What does a wealthy lady look like?  Perhaps what comes to your mind is the rustle of silk floating down a marble staircase, or maybe the glimmer of candlelight reflected from a diamond brooch.You would not be alone in your thoughts; many people have a similar view of wealth.  But what does the Scripture say?

     "Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."  1 Peter 3:3-5     Think again of the diamonds and silk.  Are these not vanity and outward adorning?  If God's view of wealth and ours differ, should we not change our views?  Should we not replace the elegant woman with jewels, silk, and chic coiffure with a modest, contented lady in simple attire seeking to be a blessing to others?  Still more, should we not ask God to make us ladies of wealth in His eyes? (Written by a friend of mine who hopes that the Lord will use it to bless and encourage those who read it.)


This was thought provoking for me.

What do I value most? So much so, that I would consider someone 'wealthy' if they had it? 
Is that what comes to my mind first when I think of wealth? Why not? Does it mean that I truly value it? Or that I just wish to think that I value it?
What do I think is truly beautiful? What is gaudy?
Do I dress in a way to please those around me, or my Lord? How much or little is too much or little?
Am I vain?
What if I am?
What does God think of me?
What if the simple beauty costs me as more spiritual labor than the silks would cost physical labor? Is it worth it to me? Am I tenaciously persistent in going after that beauty?
What is getting in the way?
Am I choosing 'good' over 'better' and 'best'?
How can I practically fix it?
Can I go do it right now?


Hope you were challenged as much as I was!
In Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!
Becca Ellen and I would love to hear from you!!